Monday 27 April 2009

3 Peaks - The return

Congratulations to all those who followed in the footsteps of the greats those ardy fell racers who do this event in under 3 1/2 hours. Having done this race 5 times i now believe i cant do it any faster than my best time of 4 hours & 25 mins done in 2004. I did manage to get 3rd vet 6o this time so its going to be my very last time. The day started in the usual for this race sunny skies and cool breezes, at least the wind stayed fresh (even if the legs didn't). Chris got a good start and I was glad he got off as I didn't fancy having to keep up with him up the first climb. The climb is made more difficult as all the first timers try to get up front (not my usual plan) My aim was to make steady progress and get warmed up and try to speed up on the descents. This seemed to work and I enjoyed the long haul to Ribblehead (even the road part was ok), good to see the the support every body had. The climb up Whernside is always going to be tough but I could just see Chris climbing up as a target to catch. Coming off the top he seemed to fly so I decided against chasing him and doing my own thing taking a wider approach to the descent and coming down on the far left on nice soft grass in stead of the rocky path taking only 27 mins Les has supported this race for 2 or three years and he is always a very welcome sight (maybe it will be time to support him next time) The climb up Ingleborough didn't go as well as expected but I was very glad to see the top and receive some great support. The descent is always tough but felt easier this time, but slower. Well done to all spen runners who put themselves on the start lines this weekend I HOPE THE LEGS ARE STILL GOOD

STEVEN MOSS

3 comments:

Chris Jones said...

My legs are a bit wobbly today Steve. I'm not sure I believe it's your last 3 Peaks race, let's wait and see

spenac webmaster said...

He won't have time for 3 peaks races as he will be preparing for the BOB GRAHAM

PS My legs are like those of a ninety year old man (ie normal!)

Antony Bradford said...

Still beats my best time of 8 hours in 1995. That was done with walking boots, a full pack and stopping for lunch at the viaduct.

A great run folks, and glad for the photo's and reports - well done.

Post a Comment