Friday 17 April 2009

Book review - Dwain Chambers

Dwain Chambers - Race Against Me: My Story

I bought this book because I had a strong feeling that Dwain had been victimised. I don't condone his taking drugs in the first place, but he was punished with a two year ban, and by my mind, that should have been it. However, the media and athletics authorities just don't seem to let it rest. I mean, even convicted murderers get released from prison for goodness sake!

I was a little disappointed when I got the book, at the size of the print. In fact was wondering if I'd bought the visually impaired version by mistake, as the print was almost as big as one of those Ladybird books we used to read as kids. It got me off to a bad start, as I had a feeling I was being ripped-off, since there were only around 250 pages, and I reckon that with a sensible print size it would be less than half that.

The book itself is a little disjointed, and flits around quite a bit, and there is some "padding" in there too. Most of it discusses how he got into the drugs thing in the 1st instance, the accusations, and the aftermath. I'd like to have read a bit more about him in the early years as a junior etc.

However, it left me with even more of a feeling that he has indeed been victimised, and some of the well known public figures he quotes in the book come across as two-faced bigots. Quite amazing what he has had to go through (still is).

Personally I hope it all works out for him, and that he's allowed to get something out of what remains of his career in athletics.

2 comments:

Antony Bradford said...

I may create some debate here, but I agree with the comments made about Dwain Chambers.

I do not agree with drugs in any sport, but the man has served his time and he has openly admitted that he took drugs to enhance his performance. There are many things athletes are doing that could be classed as performance enhancing - and are legal: caffine and creating are just a few. Until it is clear cut what is a drug and what is not you can not punish someone for life for it.

You could also argue that athletes training at altitude are in some way enhancing their performance, and are at a distinct advantage over those who do not. He should be allowed to run as a 'reformed' athlete and prove that he can do it without drugs. I think he can and wish him all the best.

Chris Jones said...

Glad to see I'm not alone on this one!

I also think that it's very easy to take the "moral high-ground" sometimes, but us mere mortals have never been number 4 in the world, and have therefore never been subjected to the same pressures.

Post a Comment