Wednesday 15 April 2009

Bunny Run #2 (CS, 3 miles, 300ft) & some Spen success!

This time I was feeling more confident, since I'd had a bit more rest, and my legs were not feeling like rubber prior to the race. Matthew was also in a confident mood after his bunny pb at the previous race. The Spen numbers were up too, as Tim had managed to get out of work early, and Steve Moss was making a welcome return to this event after an absence of over 3 years. Steve hadn't even run on the "new" course, and had been concentrating on much longer distances, and as such, I was quietly confident that I would be the first Spen runner back, even though I'd never beaten Steve in any race previously. I did feel that Steve had a good chance in the M60 category though, since I'd beaten the best M60 from 2008 in the previous race (1st time I'd ever done so, I might add).

The conditions were perfect, dry, overcast, and little wind. About as good as it ever gets for this location. The race was off to the usual frantic start, and true to form, Steve was doing his best "grumpy old man" impression, shouting "why don't you lot start at the back!" as he barged through some of the kids and slower runners who were getting under his feet.





The frantic start


I was just behind Steve and Matthew, but passed them both early on the first climb, and from there, I didn't look round again. I felt to be running faster than the previous week, even when I'd tired. Just like last week, I was caught on the final climb by my friend Nigel from Halifax Harriers, and try as I might I couldn't re-catch him before the finish, but this time it was just one second between us.

It was success all round though, I managed a sub-20 minute run for the first time, Steve came in next to win the M60 age category beating 2008 M60 series winner Dave Tait from Dark Peak, and hot on Steve's heels, just one place behind with probably the best Spen run of the night was Matthew who destroyed his previous best for the course by 1 minute 18 secs. Tim was next on his first bunny of 2009, followed by Jackie who also improved on the previous week, and Henry with another good run.


M60 Category Winner and "grumpy old man", the one and only Steve Moss
Spen Results
73 CHRIS JONES V40 19.59
84 STEVE MOSS V60 20.31 (age category winner)
85 MATTHEW JONES U14 20.35
135 TIM WRAGG V40 22.18
188 JACKIE CARTER FV40 25.03
244 HENRY CARTER U14 31.22

248 finishers, 1 retired
Full results here

All photos (c) 2009 Paul Wood

1 comments:

Antony Bradford said...

Some great photo's. Mossy looks to be flying, not bad for a 60 year old. Not forgetting the younger ones - a good effort, well done. Must try out a fell race one day(must be short), seems like good hill work to me.

Regards.

Post a Comment