Thursday 28 May 2009

Fellsman 2009

Hi to every one.It's taken me a while to put ink to paper, normally I can't wait to put down the successes of my challenges on the blog. You will see that this was not quite the success I had hoped for. As the planning for this event started last year with a possibility of entering a team and been able to stay together for the whole event with the team pulling us through the night on this tough part of the course. Some long training runs took place in order to do the full distance with a lot of help from Chris and some of the others from spen who were using this for the three peaks race (and I hope it helped) Friday night was the time to get every thing in order and check the kit, as on this event they are very keen and check ever one before you get your tally.

Sat morn was a dash to the start as I had forgotten that the check-in is before 8:00am, long queues, as we waited to register with lots of chat as to how we were all going to do (this could be a time to say that I was on my own again as none of the team managed to make the event).

Two mins to go and the field was buzzing with 381 entrants, off went the horn and as the field split in two some going the traditional way and others picking up on the shorter way to the road to ascend Ingleborough. My tactics if you can have any on a 61 mile trek was to try to maintain 4 miles an hour for the first 20 and re-assess later.

The weather report was for stay dry till lunch with some wintry showers in the afternoon drying up towards evening . On leaving Dent, after a good meal of baked beans and soup it looked like we were in for some harsh weather as we climbed up to Fleetmoss, and true to form down came the hail stones, and the wind picked up to drive them on. Lots of people took the shelter of the wall to don all their extra clothes and water-proofs. The pull to get to Stone Houses to get warm and some of that famous spaghetti was all that kept most of us going.

The weather settled to cold & breezy for the rest of the way to Fleetmoss, and at the time I was glad to get there well on time before pairing up took place (but later to regret being early) and for it to get to dark. The trek across Fleetmoss was very difficult after the rain and sleet, made even worse by the falling darkness and I was beginning to regret being on my own, but made it to Middle Tong in good time. To get to the next check-point proved to be my downfall. On getting to the mire over the fence and straight into a boggy swamp up to my waist in the pitch dark.When I got out my tactic was to follow the fence, cross over and find the lane and Hells Gap. I followed the wrong fence and ended up at Cray missing Hells Gap.

If any one asks me why I didn't go back up, I still couldn't reason it out and as I decided to carry on my mind was set. The rest was just a matter of staying grouped and getting back to Grassington which I achieved in 17h 32 mins.

I hope this helps any one considering this event or any other distance over the marathon that no matter that you know the course always check your direction.

MAYBE NEXT YEAR.

2 comments:

Chris Jones said...

Great report Steve, compared to this, the 3 peaks was a walk in the park! I can understand how disappointed you must feel having put in so much work in training.

Next year it's our turn to support you!

old gimmer said...

Excuse my ignorance, but was this race recent or have you just round to posting this blog? The reason I ask is all the mentions of sleet, snow and hail? I thought the weather had been pretty good recently. The race was in the Dales not northern Scotland

Post a Comment