Friday 1 May 2009

The Three Peaks Fell Race (Chris K)

I always find that the weeks leading up to the Three Peaks fly by much too quickly to get in all the training I would like to do. So as usual, I lined up at the start of the race and thought 'Oh my giddy aunt' (not my exact words but you will get the gist). Anyway, too late now but at least the sun is shining.

My race strategy for sub-5 hours was to take it as steady as I like up Pen-y-gent and then try and make up time on the descents leaving enough in reserve to still be able descend off Ingleborough at a decent pace. For once, everything went according to plan. Got to the top of Pen-y-gent much slower than in previous races but I was not even feeling even slightly out of breath so it was now time to try and eat up the miles and make up the time without overdoing it.

From the top of Pen-y-gent, I started to overtake people and eventually caught up with Paul H (work colleague) and ran with him up to Ribblehead. I made sure I drank plenty and ate an energy bar before the worst part of the race which is the ascent of Whernside. Psychologically for me, once the top of Whernside is attained, the race is more than half done. This year I climbed the hill quite well, didn't get cramp at the top and then descended like the jaws of Cerberus were snapping at my heals. Top of Whernside to the Hill Inn only took 25m 47s which is the fastest I've ever done it.

At the Hill Inn, I was very surprised to catch up with Gareth and Mike but they set off before I had finished getting another energy bar and some fluids inside me. I had expected them to be miles ahead. I don’t find ascending Ingleborough too bad because most of it is across the flagstones and there is only a short steep section at the end. Got to the top of Ingleborough at 3h 59m 55s which was a whole 5 seconds ahead of schedule so I knew that I should easily beat 5 hours.

I can run downhill over rocky terrain quite well because I am light, agile and a bit dim at times so caught up with Gareth and even overtook him for a couple of minutes near the bottom of the steep bit. However, as soon as it levelled out again he was off again and my little legs had nothing left for a final effort. It was just a case of head down and endure.

Getting to the col where you can finally see down to Horton-in-Ribblesdale was a very welcome sight and the last half-mile went quite well although I’d forgotten about the 10 metre uphill slope after the railway bridge which reduced me to a walk. I’m sure someone has built it up a bit since last year. I finished the race in 4h 48m 45s so was pleased with my result but I will do more training next year (I’ve said that before I think!).

1 comments:

Chris Jones said...

You can definitely teach me a thing or two about pacing Chris. Getting to the top of Ingleborough within 5 seconds of your plan is something else ;)

Nice report, and well done!

Post a Comment