Thursday 14 May 2009

Esholt 5k#2 - View from the midfield

Another intra spen battle


After having pretty poor preparation for the second instalment (an 800 mile round trip to do an extremely hilly bike ride in the Highlands) I was non too optimistic about beating my time from last week. Took it easy early on and noted that infamous fast starter John Henry was quite a way ahead of me as we eased through the first 2k. Was 15s slower than last week at 2k so started to feel depressed. However as the race turned the corner and people started to slow, confidence grew. I know I am the master of pace (years of studying, and being victim to, Frank’s late rallies) so started to pull through the field.

Along the straight the legs start to burn but John comes into view agan and my split at 4k is good. Feeling strong I speed up down the hill and Johns vest looms large. 20m out John looks round as he hears me bearing down. As he panics and sprints for the line I decide I don’t want to look like one of those idiots who sprints in the beat a team mate. However be clear, I could have!

John watch out next week.

Gareth

4 comments:

Gareth said...

Hey. Who corrected my spelling mistake?

Chris Jones said...

as editor of this blog, I reserve the right to alter any content in order to make my race performances look more impressive ;)

Antony Bradford said...

Chris, can you please get into the rankings list(athletics data) and place me somewhere near the top.

Cheers.

Hazel said...

Chris - can you move just in front of Kev on London Marathon results please? Cheers!

Post a Comment