Thursday 21 May 2009

Esholt 5k Race 3

Fastest Yet

The final race arrived. Plenty of pressure with John Henry making things interesting in our own little battle last week, added to the desire to continue to improve. I thought (hoped) John wasn't there as we warmed up but come the start line there he was, beaming brightly. My confidence was boosted when John kindly poined out that as I had beated him by some 10s in race 1 and he beat by just 1s in race2, that I was ahead on aggregate.

On the off I went quite fast and this time didn't see John in front of me. Was faster at 2k (7min 4s) but started to feel it as we approached the turn. Its funny that in a race series like this you see the same people and use them as benchmarks. Elation at passing someone who beat you last week is soon dashed when the man with the wooden leg (who you beat convincingly in race one) breezes past.

At 4k I new I was looking good as I had 4mins to get to the end. The final burst never came, but I clocked 18.39 (although the official got 18.40). Thats a 15s improvement from race 2 and 25s from race 1.

Its a long way from by PB on this course (16.10) but would like to see sub 18min again one day. Bring on the Hyde Park series.

Gareth

PS Thanks for the competition John

3 comments:

Antony Bradford said...

Well done Gareth. It seems everyone was locked in battle in one way or another. I real enjoyed the series this time(apart from getting beat by the 'race machine'). I also found each race slightly different, with different runners and slightly varied weather conditions.

Chris Jones said...

Assuming you did even splits for the 1st 2km, that would be 3:32 for the 1st km. That means Jackie was breathing right down your neck with her 3:40

Gareth said...

That doesn't seem to add up, does it?

Post a Comment