Tuesday 16 June 2009

The Joe Percy 10k

The last time I ran this race was 2006 and my time was 51.25, this is a closed race which means clubs are invited to enter a team, this being a local race for us I felt we should support it and you know what I'm like (spen vests out in force) ,

I actually managed to get a team of ten together of which I'm chuffed about driving across we had some torrential rain and we were all thinking what on earth are we doing but fortunately it stopped before we set off and stayed dry for us.
You not only have competition from the other athletes, also there is competition from your other team mates even at my level its quite fierce.

Being team manager, it was my responsibility to enter everyone in duplicate (which somewhat stressed me out). Come the start of the race, I was wound up like a coiled spring. Edward, Karl, Emma and myself set off together. For the first 3k we managed to stay together.Edward and Emma started to pull away from us i got to the 5k mark in just outside 24mins at this point i saw James (my son) with words of encouragement and jogging along side me part way on the second lap i managed to gain a few places and leave Karl (i did encourage him to stay with me) playing cat and mouse with Geoff T(Meltham) and Geoff D(Penistone) i was determined they would not catch me as we got up the last climb Geoff D was not far behind me which made me dig deep and at this point i was on a roll i ran that fast down towards the finish i thought that i was going to fall over myself my time was a respectable 48.16 nearly 3minutes quicker , overall a good even paced run and the team finished 9Th place out of 14 thanks to to the team all had a good run maybe next year we will have two teams.

0 comments:

Post a Comment