Saturday 26 September 2009

Whernside Fell Race

Whernside Fell Race BM, 12.1m/2972ft

My fell running guru and mentor Steve Moss convinced me at fairly short notice that this was a race not to be missed by enthusing about the great run-in to the finish area and all-round good course. Despite some misgivings that I was stepping up the distance a bit too quick, I decided to give a go.

The weather was glorious, no need for multiple layers, or long sleeves today! For £5 entry fee we received a full colour marked map of the route, and some excellent organisation and great marshalling. Most of the route itself was unmarked, but there was good visibility, and it was quite easy to follow.

The first half of the race was climbing, climbing and more climbing, finally reaching the summit of Whernside, where I looked at my watch and saw that it was just under the hour, That's a lot of uphill. I'd employed my tactic of walk 50 steps, run 50 steps and pretty much kept pace with those around me who were running it all. I wish I could run it all, but I can't and just have to do what works for me.

Approaching the Whernside summit from the North, the route then goes over a stile and drops down the west face for a fast and steep descent. Here I was able to gain back a good few places by using the well known "disengage brain" mode, and running like hell, but I slowed up on reaching the road, and was back into the run-walk again for the climb up Great Coum.

Once the summit of Great Coum had been reached, it was downhill almost the whole way to the finish, and Steve was dead right about the last mile or so, where the finish was constantly in sight, and the ground underfoot was good. Racing into the finish, I just managed to dip under two hours with a time of 1:59:03 (unofficial) and Steve came in a few minutes later, knees bleeding (deja vu) at around 2:12.

Great race, thoroughly recommended!

0 comments:

Post a Comment