Monday 21 September 2009

4 peaks, but not a Viking in sight!

Viking Chase Fell Race BM, 8m/1500ft

Slowly I'm starting to get back into my running after the summer lay-off. Although still suffering from some lack of motivation, I'm gradually getting the better of it, and this week I returned to the fells following Matthew on the final round of the FRA Junior Championships.

This was my second outing at this race, as I also did it in 2008, when we had glorious sunshine, and this year we were lucky once more, and there was no question about stripping down to just the the vest (shorts also of course). I remember from last year, I was a bit unhappy with my run, as I'd faded badly at the end, but with my lack of training over the summer, my expectations of doing much better were realistic.

The race is run at Carlton Bank in North Yorkshire, and takes in 4 peaks on the Cleveland Way. The start is uphill, and follows a loop around and over the first peak before descending towards the HQ and finish area, then past the spectators, and more or less in a straight line over the next 3 peaks. It basically follows the Cleveland Way track on the way out, then a contour alongside the final 3 peaks through a forest on the return. The descents are tricky, those sort of "steps" cut into the stone, but hard to descend at speed, and the final 3 miles is very much a lot of short sharp up and downs which really break the rhythm.

Today was one of my good days descending-wise, and I was able to make up ground on all the descents, however, as expected, I faded badly towards the end, and lost a couple of places, and quite a bit of time. The distance was just a bit far for me at this point, and my legs felt battered at the end (a sign of some good descending usually). But overall I was pleased, because my time was approximately 2 minutes faster than the previous year at 1:15:12 (unofficially)

0 comments:

Post a Comment