Wednesday 7 January 2009

Ovenden Fell Race (3rd january)

3rd race in 4 days for me, and after a grand total of 260 miles running in 2008, I was about to clock up my 17th race mile (assuming I finished) getting me off to good start for 2009 (ok, so 6 of them were in 2008).

I tried my best to talk some of our Spen team mates into turning out, but in the end opting for freezing your nuts off on a Saturday morning seemed less attractive than alternative options to everyone else, and on the day, I was the only one from the club who turned up. "You're all a bunch of softies" I say ;)

I was quite surprised at the number who did turn out though, 137 in all, boosted by the race being part of Bingleys internal club championship series. It was pleasing to see a couple of my friends from other clubs, both who had run at the Giant's Tooth 2 days earlier, and one of whom had also done the Auld Lang Syne.

John (my Rotherham buddy) said he'd run along with me, but wasn't fit (hah) and told me not to go off to fast otherwise he'd just drop off (hah, hah). Whilst I had to warn him that I'd had 6 pints the night before (always good to get the excuses in early eh)

We got chatting with Nigel (Halifax buddy) at the start, and then all set off from the embankment, and up the hill side towards the Withens. Despite John's lack of fitness and his warning me about not going off too fast, I was struggling to keep up with him, and by the time we reached the top, he was a good 20 yards ahead of me and Nigel was some way behind.

To cut a long story short, I never caught John, although I came close a few times, and Nigel passed me after about 3 miles (as usual) but I later pulled him back (less usual). I think for him it was too many races in a short time especially since he was coming back from a fractured ankle injury, so I expect it will be the last time I beat him this year!

The ground was frozen hard, which made it more runnable, and the times were generally pretty good. I finished 53rd from 137, which I was really happy about. Probably my best race of the 3.

Results

I really enjoyed the race, nice route, location and good organisation.

Race information

Post a Comment