Monday 15 March 2010

A halt in proceedings

After some serious thought, and many weeks pretending otherwise, I've finally come to the realisation, that for now at least, and for the forseeable future, my running days are pretty much over. Some of you will know that I've struggled with motivation since the problems I had with work last year, and my running has been the major casualty, but that's not the only reason.

Some 18 months back, I finally managed to introduce Matthew to cycling. I'd been keen to do this, because he was falling out with athletics, and I felt it was important that he had another string to his bow, and because both Matthew, Sue and myself all feel that Matthew has been let down badly by the club. What I didn't expect was how well he would take to cycling, and how fast he would progress. It's now reached the stage where he'd cycle all of the time if he could, and never run, although I'm fighting against this a bit, but at the same time, he has opportunities in cycling that he would never get with running (at least not at Spenborough). Unfortunately, training nights clash at the moment (Mondays and Thursdays), and over the spring/summer, the racing nights are Wednesdays which clashes witht he West Yorkshire league, that leaves little else. Since Matthew is 15 this week, I realise that I only have 3 years of him left at home in all likelihood, and I want to support him as far as I can in his aspirations in cyling. To be perfectly honest, the circuit racing he's doing is fantastic to watch, because the races last over 20 minutes, and you can watch the whole thing unfold. Some of the youth riders are really skillful and tactically aware too.

I have to say, from my observations of the cycling scene, that the general standard of coaching seems to be very high, and there are regular visits from top coaches in British Cycling. There are also opportunities to ride at the Manchester velodrome etc., and there are usually special training events in the school holidays. It's no wonder the UK win medals at cycling and b***er all at athletics. The whole setup appears to be far more professional. The encouragement that Matthew has received so far has been excellent, and his confidence is growing weekly.

Matthew is still going to run the Fell Championship series, and I'll probably run in the senior races alongside those too, and we'll be available if needed for relays etc, but for now we probably won't be down at any club nights. There is a chance his Monday night cycling session may stop after Easter, in which case we will probably be back at the track, so we'll see. I hope all that made some sense.

Cheers -- Chris

3 comments:

Antony Bradford said...

You're always best saying what you feel even if it's not what people want to hear.

I can see why youngsters give up on long distance running. I can also see why British distance running is allocated less funding than other sports. It requires large amount of input with only a small chance of success. We only have to look at the best British distance runners that we can offer and they would still be well behind the best distance runners from any of the African nations. I personally don't see that changing in the near term. There is more at play than just effort here. It's like trying to compete at the high jump when you're only 4 foot tall. Furthermore, distance running(arguably) requires the most in physical effort and commitment than any other sport -if you wan't to be really good at it.

All the best to you both.

Michael Dransfield said...

If Matthew is enjoying his cycling more than running then you just have to go with the flow and support him in the sport he has a greater desire to participate in.
I know personally this can have an impact on your own sporting ambitions but there can be no grater joy than to see your children enjoying taking part (and sometimes succeeding) in their chosen sport.
Keep in touch and you may even persuade me to join you in some of those monstrous fell races that you enjoy so much.
I suppose I will have to battle the Spen youth in the West Yorks League on my own this year, but alas, I feel it is already going to be a lost cause.

Regards
Michael

Unknown said...

I don't fancy the fell races but I might join you in a duathlon late in the summer. All the best for now and I hope you'll pay us a visit occasionally to keep in touch.

kind regards

Keith

Post a Comment